Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Volcano news

Tungurahua is active again! I visited this volcano in July 2006 in between eruptions. A few days before I was due to leave the UK, it started spitting out ash and lava and took a break while I visited. I was able to soak in an outdoor hot spring right at the bottom of the volcano, but it was so cloudy, you couldn't see the top! Three days later, I read in the newspaper that some large lumps of rock had fallen in the street outside the hotel in which I had been staying. Lucky escape, or what? The volcano has now started to erupt again and a thousand people have been evacuated. It looks spectacular but the people who live nearby face losing their livelihoods. There's a video news report on BBC's news website - search for Ecuador eruption.

No comments: